Our organization started in the 1930′s as the Delaware Athletic Association. The grandstand and the pavilion were built at that time. The pavilion was originally where the hall stands today. In the 1940′s the Delaware Athletic Association and the Callicoon Fire Department deeded their land to what became known as the Callicoon Aid Center, which was incorporated in the 1940′s. At that time, the town leaders’ mission was to promote educational and recreational opportunities for people in the area so they could socialize and meet each other. It was built for people to gather together and have fun.
In 1947 Dr. Mills and Dr. Rumble, two local physicians, started raising funds for a community pool because of all the children who had drowned in the river. Our pool is over 60 years old and is now heated, thanks to a grant from Fleet Bank. Swimming lessons are offered every summer by Red Cross-certified instructors at a modest cost.
In 1952, the corporate name changed to Delaware Youth Center. In 1984 we assumed the name Delaware Community Center because we were serving such a diverse age group within the community. 2004 saw the 40th anniversary of Hermann Hall. Grover Hermann was a philanthropist who wanted to give something back to his community, similar to what Alan Gerry is doing today. He wanted to leave a legacy, and that is our Great Hall.
Over the years we have built tennis and basketball courts, soccer fields and a skateboard park. Our state-of-the-art playground should serve children for generations to come.
We support and improve the facility through grants, donations and fundraisers. No donation is too small, and every dollar counts. We feel very strongly that nothing you do for children is ever wasted. Dedicated volunteers hold fundraising events throughout the year and we are dependent on the support of the community for our continued success.